Thursday, February 14, 2008

Will you be my Valentine?


February 14, 1940
A candy wrapper from Leona's first box of Valentine chocolates from Lou


Louis Butler
Leona Carpenter
1938 - It was during this year that I started seeing Leona Carpenter a lot at church and at her house on Sundays. Her Mom is a great cook and I can still remember the great breaded pork chops she used to fix! That year I bought her a white pair of ice skates for her birthday. It was a cold winter and we did get to go skating on the Mineral Palace Park Lake several times.




Louis Butler and Leona Carpenter 1939




Back to school (after Christmas break) and seeing Leona a lot during the rest of the winter and spring. When school was out I got a job with the Rainbo Bakery selling day old bread. All of the bread that was not sold was brought into the day-old store. Most of it was sold to farmers for their hogs, but most of it that I sold was not really stale, but the extra bread that was baked and then not needed for the route salesmen. Leona came over regularly to get bread, even though her dad was a baker!







Young love - 1939


Leona and I continued seeing each other when I was in high school. We went our separate ways for a while. Then after I had finished high school we started going together again.

Spring 1940
Leona (14 years old) and Lou (17 years) going to the Gold and Green Ball


March 4, 1983
Yes, I'll be your Valentine - - for all eternity!

3 comments:

Kate said...

I love old photos...there's just something romantic about them!

loved this post!

Britt said...

I love the post with that candy wrapper. It was just so sweet so much love between those two. I hope grandma butler reads this blog.

Anonymous said...

I love the blog! The Valentine Memories are wonderful. Those two must have saved EVERYTHING! IT's wonderful what you are doing. Keep it up! MBC