Friday, June 20, 2008

School Days

In September of 1928 I entered Park View School as a Kindergartner, where I continued through the 5th grade.

On 1 September 1931 I entered third grade and had Mrs. Dorothy Ritchey for my teacher. I had a good year and liked her very much. When I returned to Park View School as a principal in 1960, she was still teaching there. The first thing she said to me was, “I sure hope I was good to you!”


In 1932 I entered 4th grade and had Miss Williams for my teacher. She retired just the year before I went back to Park View as a principal.


In 5th grade I had Miss Daniels for my teacher. We got along great, and I enjoyed the year. We formed a softball team and went to Fountain and played them. Miss Pingatore was the gym teacher at Fountain. We didn’t have a gym teacher at Park View.


Fountain School - grade 6/5 (highest level
School Year 1934-35
Louis Butler - 2nd row, 3rd from right

In 1934 I went to Fountain School for the 6th grade. It was a good year, and we were given many extra activities. Most of the patrol boys came from our class, and we were given opportunities to work in the office. We put on plays which we wrote, and it was just a fun year for me.

In a costume for one of our plays. I don't remember which one!
1934-35


Then in 1935 I went to Park Hill Jr. High School for the 7th and 8th grades. My best friend of that time, and for most of my childhood was Charles Shelhammer. He lived in the 1700 block of East 5th Street, just to the west of us. We spent many nights at each other’s houses and were together a lot of the time. He was great fun.

Chuck Shelhammer - Louis Butler
8th grade graduation

In June of 1937 I graduated from Park Hill Jr. High. It was a big day and I got a new suit and a hat. I also had the block “PH” (letter) which was earned by gaining points for almost anything I did well.


8th Grade Report Card
June 4, 1937

No comments: