Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year - New Technology


25 years ago, Dad jumped into the world of technology when he bought his first computer. That interest in technology continued the rest of his life and contributed to his prolific record keeping.

January 1, 1984 – As you can see, I’m not writing this letter on my old typewriter. We bought an Atari 1200 XL computer, an Atari 810 disc drive, an Atari 1027 printer and some software, PacMan, Galaxian, and AtariWriter, which I am using now. I’m breaking in this new AtariWriter word processing program, composing and editing on my TV screen. When I’ve finished writing, I can print a copy – or dozens of copies – just by pressing a few keys on my computer console. So far I’m not having any trouble with the letter writing, but I don’t know for sure about the rest of it.

I really should take the time to read and work out the practice learning lessons given in the workbook that came with the computer, but I will get around to that later.


January 21, 1984 [to cousin Delvin Callaway]
- When we were at your house you sold me on the idea that I probably should get to know a little more about computers if I am going to know what is going on in this world, or at least what is making it tick, so I bought myself an Atari 1200XL with a disk drive and a letter quality printer and I'm having a ball with it. Not getting much sleep these nights, but I am having a good time trying to learn how to use it.

January 28, 1984
- Mother just walked into the bedroom where I now have my TV hooked up with the computer and her TV on time of mine with the Notre Dame vs Maryland basketball game going, and she said that I really had this retirement figured out!


1 comment:

Yvonne and Bruce said...

Wouldn't he be proud and amazed at the technology and abilities of his grandkids now! What a great example.
Yvonne