Thursday, January 28, 2010

Early morning Musings

An excerpt from a letter written 25 November 1989 while in Switzerland:

Swiss Temple at night
I think it was Wednesday morning when I awoke early (about 5:30 a.m.) and stood in front of our living room window and look at the temple with the lights on it, shining in splendor in the dark.  As I then sat down on the couch and watched it, I thought of all of the great blessings I have had throughout my life and thought how blessed I have been.

Family group - approximately 1933-1935
back row: Garnons Davis-Jesse Butler-Edith Davis-Della & Harker Davis
middle row:  Louis Butler (far left) - Charles Butler (far right)
It was a neat hour or so as I thought about my parents and my youth with family on so many great occasions of happiness as I met with them and all I learned from them - all of the love I was shown.

Leona - Lou
December 1977
And then I thought of my good fortune to have a wife who is so great and good and all of the great things we have been able to do over the years.  Our family, getting our educations, our jobs, our work in Scouts, our work in the Church, our work in the schools - and always we were fortunate to share all of these activities.  And since retirement, we've had the opportunity to serve at Haskell [Indian Junior College in Lawrence, Kansas], then in the Ogden Temple, and now here in Switzerland.  In all of these activities, we have had so many mutual friends and acquaintances who have enriched our lives.

Principal Lou welcoming a prospective kindergarten student
May 1964
Then I thought about how lucky I was to be employed in an occupation which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I was able to look forward to each year with anticipation of good things to come and always had rewarding experiences and many great friendships with both teachers, parents, and children and with fellow administrators.

Lou, Jr - Jim - Tom - Don
Lou, Sr - Leona
November 1993
Most of the time, though, I spent thinking about our sons and our daughter-in-laws.  How important our daughters have been to our lives.  They each complement our sons, and by working together there is mutual growth.  How happy we are to have all of you sealed to us and your children to you that we may have a great forever family. 

With fellow temple workers
March 1990
And then as I looked at the temple, I thought how lucky we are to be here in this comfortable apartment and working with such fine people and serving in the House of the Lord here in Switzerland.  Our health is good and we are very happy.  Of course we miss our family, but we know you are all very capable of taking care of yourselves and that you really don't need us around all of the time!  But I hope you miss us and look forward to our return as much as we look forward to more good times together.

Love, Dad

No comments: