Friday, February 19, 2010

Mama's High Heels


Lee lived in a little shack on the alley right next to the schoolyard with his mother and other younger children. He was in the first grade at Bessemer School.

When Lee would see me walking around the playground, he would often come and walk with me. One day as we were walking along, I looked down on his very short, kinky hair and saw a little moon shaped scar on his head. I looked a little closer and could see several other little moon shaped scars.

I tried to think what could have happened to cause him to have so many of these randomly placed little scars on his head. I finally could not stand not knowing, so I asked him. “Lee what are all of those little scars on your head?”

He replied, “That’s where my Mama hits me with her high heels when she is mad at me!”

photo by flickr

No comments: