Tuesday, April 27, 2010

He looked so little . . .

 photo here

February 4, 1982, 2:33 p.m. – The police just took Carlos Ortega, a 3rd grader, to Park View Hospital. [He has been] smoking marijuana, popping pills, and Dr. Austin, a psychiatrist and my good friend,  says he is an alcoholic. It is all I can do to keep from crying like a baby. Two big uniformed policemen, a 6’6” social worker, and his mom watched them leave. The two ladies followed them to the hospital where they will admit him.

Carlos was sitting at his desk working at math when I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to come with me. I picked up his jacket and carried it to the office. He wanted to know where we were going, and he was looking around as though he knew something was wrong.

Carlos’ mother told me and Mrs. Helen Brekke that he and a boy from Minnequa had taken $100 from an old man - a “wino,” and a $20 bill from a “queer.” She told us that he came home late at night and that he stayed at the arcade hanging around with high school kids. She couldn’t get him to take a bath or clean up without a big fight.

He looked so little as he walked out with those two big uniformed policemen.

 In August of that year, Dad was subpoenaed to testify in court in Carlos' case.  However, he noted on the back of the summons that the case was canceled on August 18, and he didn't have to appear.

I wonder what happened to little Carlos Ortega.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What an interesting post. The story makes my heart sad--my little Jason is almost a 3rd grader. I guess life is never dull when you are the principal!