Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Are you listening to me?



  A couple of examples of highly effective lectures I [Lou] gave to youthful offenders of school rules: 

#1  One day I was once again trying to convince a fourth grade girl that if she would change her ways, she and I would both be happier than we were then.  I was give her my very best lecture when she asked, “Mr. Butler, do you think you could grow hair if you wanted to?”

#2  I lectured a first grader who had been literally carried into the office for refusing to obey a teacher on the playground and then kicking, scratching, etc.  I got him settled down and was discussing his behavior and it appeared he was buying the advice I was giving him.  Then he held up his hand, and I asked him what he wanted to say.  He said, “Mr. Butler, have you ever eaten chicken at Popeye’s Restaurant in Denver?”

I wonder how he kept a straight face!

No comments: