Tuesday, September 13, 2011

[Don't] Keep your comments to yourself!



Cute cousins - 1968
Cindy Butler (Delbert) - Beth Butler (Charles)


After journaling my comings and goings and plans to return to blogging in this post of August 7, I got a comment that has thrilled me beyond words.  Some of you may have read the comment - if you're nosy like me, you often click to a comment to see what others are saying even if you don't want to add your own remark.  But just in case you didn't click through, here is what has me so excited:

"I felt compelled to comment when you said nobody else may be reading. I am Delbert Butler's oldest grandson; I have a brother, sister, and one female cousin on the Butler side. I found your blog while Googling my grandfather's name in an attempt to find out more about him. What a gold-mine of history and photos you have shared! I deeply appreciate it. I had never seen my grandparents' wedding picture, nor many of the photos of my grandfather in his youth, and of his parents and brothers. I was able to flesh out my Ancestry.com tree using the family pedigrees you made available, and I uploaded a few of your photos to my tree (which I hope you don't mind.)  

"I saw my grandfather only once in the last 3-5 years of his life, when I was a young teenager. I saw him a bit more in the late 80s and met Great-Grandma Mable one time at his house. Since we did not maintain contact with the Butler family, being able to learn about them through this blog has been a real gift." 

Can you believe that?  Because of this comment, I was able to make contact with a branch of the family tree that we had lost track of.  We have corresponded several times, and I recently sent a number of Delbert's family pictures to Andy who is now sharing them his mom and her sisters - Delbert's daughters.  I feel like those pictures have finally made it home!

Isn't the internet wonderful?  I find it amazing that just a simple search for a name has created a new family connection and added leaves on the family tree.  

So, stand up and be counted!  If you're reading, feel free to add your thoughts.  What do you remember about any of the people or events that I've recorded here?  This history belongs to all of us, and I hope you'll add to it.

Thanks for speaking up, Andy!

No comments: