Saturday, March 22, 2008

Great Experience - Great Excitement - Great Blessings

Larry Austin - Louis Butler - Alvin Chambers
1st Stake Presidency of Pueblo, Colorado Stake

2 March 1974 - . . . about 8 p.m. Bro. Bruce R. McConkie called me back and issued the call for me to be the first president of the Pueblo Colorado stake which was to be created this weekend. I asked for Alvin Dean Chambers, a dentist, to be my first counselor and Lawrence Edwin Austin, a psychiatrist to be my second counselor.

Bro. McConkie met with Leona and me, and when he learned that she was the Stake Primary President, he released her right then!


We returned home and started calling others. Went to bed at 12:30 a.m.


3 March 1974 - We had an 8 a.m. meeting with Bro. McConkie and Bro. Wright, and then held our regular session of conference. Leona sang with the Relief Society Chorus, and it was really beautiful music. President Stoddard was released, and was sustained to be the Patriarch of the Colorado Springs Stake. It was very sad for me to see him released, as it seemed like the end of a great era for me.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie set me apart as Stake President. I later had the privilege of ordaining my brother, Charles Lee Butler, to the office of High Priest and setting him apart as a High Councilor.

Larry Austin - Louis Butler - Robert Shifflet
1st Counselor President 2nd Counselor

May 30 1980
Dear Pres. Benson [President of Council of the Twelve Apostles],
. . . reluctantly I feel that I must ask for the release of my First Counselor, Pres. Alvin D. Chambers. His health has caused me to have to give him extended leaves of absence on two different occasions, . . . and though he seems to be having less of his serious headaches . . . his situation is still very difficult.

I would like to nominate Brother Robert E. Shifflet to be the 2nd counselor and move Pres. Austin to be the 1st counselor.

I realize this is awfully late, but I had hopes that Pres. Chambers might recover sufficiently to return to the Presidency, but he isn't.

Sincerely,
President Louis E. Butler

Lou enjoyed his service as the stake president and served willingly. One of the highlights of his service was the construction of the new stake center.


Comments from his talk at Stake Conference - January, 1982

Just a year and a half ago I stood before you in a Stake conference and pulled my hard hat out of a sack and put it on my head to let you know as forcefully as I could that we were going to build a new Stake Center. Now here we are in our first Stake Conference in this beautiful new stake center.

I came here to see the progress of the construction almost daily, and I was very proud of the quality of the construction. I thrilled to each wall completed, floor finished, plumbing installed, arrival of each order of furniture and equipment.


I have had a great experience - great excitement - great blessings these past few months.

No comments: