Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's for Lunch?


One day at Park View I received a call from a parent who said, “How do you take lunch count at Park View?” I though it was odd for a parent to ask, but I explained that we needed to know how many were going to eat the lunch prepared for students because the lunches were sent from the high school cafeteria.

She said, “I know that, but what does the teacher say to the students to get the number of lunches needed?”


I said, “They just ask, ‘How many are going to eat hot lunch today?’”


The parent laughed and said, “My daughter insists I make her a lunch to take, because her teacher says, ‘How many of you are going to eat that slop in the cafeteria today?’”


This teacher really hated the cafeteria and lunch duty and didn’t see why the children couldn’t go home for lunch the way we used to do (and with an hour for lunch). She also resented so many free and reduced price lunches. But she was chagrined that I had been called, and she agreed to change her lunch count method.



No comments: