Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Hair Raising Experience

While serving a temple mission in Switzerland and Germany (much more about that in future posts), Lou and Leona found themselves lacking in a few ordinary conveniences - like affordable haircuts.

Lou looks a little nervous,
but is keeping the mirror in position so he can direct Leona's work.

It's a good thing when the barber is happy!

February 4, 1990 (Lou writing) - When we got home from the store this afternoon, President Berryessa already had the B&B Barbershop going, so I cut his hair and three others before we closed up shop. I didn’t get my hair cut as Leona is now cutting my hair! Bro. Cardon says that we must go to the same temple to work after April, because I have to be there to cut his hair! It seems that when men get to the age of missionary couples, the money saved is more important than how the hair looks!

July 25, 1990
(Leona writing) - Lou cut my hair this morning. That is always a traumatic experience. First I have to be sick and tired of having too much hair; then I have to remember how much it costs to get my hair cut and that I don’t have a beauty operator here; and then I have to “psych myself up” to let Lou cut my hair. After several days of this, I finally let him get out the clippers. I am a nervous wreck as I sit there waiting for him to get started. I have visions of looking like Harpo Marx or one of the three stooges! I say terrible things about his methods and try to tell him how beauty operators cut hair. He completely ignores me, complains now and then because my hair doesn’t stand up straight, and calmly cuts and cuts and cuts according to his own way. I am certain by now that I will be bald, and it’s all I can do to keep from screaming. And then – it’s over. I wet my hair, and I can tell by the feel that there’s not much hair left. I have this sinking feeling in my heart. Then I blow dry my hair, and would you believe that my hair cut is just perfect! It is exactly the way I want it. I don’t know why he puts up with the “abuse”, but I’m glad he does. All of the women around here think I’m so lucky to have a husband who can cut my hair so well. Actually, I think he’s pretty lucky to have a wife whose hair curls up and hides any mistakes he might make.

Although their solution of cutting their own and others' hair was resourceful, it was not without anxiety - at least for Leona - and makes for some great reading here!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Grandma, I can't believe you let Grandpa cut your hair! I thought he only knew how to do one cut, and that was short! You two had so many adventures.

Unknown said...

This brings back such fun memories. In Switzerland, Lou and President Berryessa cut all of the men's hair. They would set up shop in the laundry room. When we got to Germany, President Berryessa had gone home, and Lou cut all the hair. We no longer had the nice laundry room, and it all took place in our apartment (one room).By now, many of the women had started coming in for hair cuts. The women all thought Lou was so wonderful. In the book that they gave us when we left, they had all written something about their time with us. Several of the women mentioned the haircuts. I guess I was never that enthusiastic about his haircuts. One of the first things I did, after I got back to the states, was get a haircut. Lou never cut my hair again. I,m certain, he was as happy as I was.