Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Break in Texas - 1984

Clark and Carolyn Harriman

March, 1984 – took a vacation to Port Aransas, Texas with Clark and Carolyn Harriman, (Clark is my cousin). We spent three weeks with them fishing, golfing, and playing card games. We had a great time and hope to make more of those kind of trips with them.

We each had CB radios, and it was fun to be able to talk back and forth on the road to each other [while driving to Texas]. We were able to ask questions about things we saw. It is good to be with people like Clark and Carolyn who treat everyone with kindness and helpfulness.

Clark & Carolyn's motor home with their little truck on the trailer

While in Texas, they fished and golfed. This was Leona's first time on a golf course, but Lou reported that she did very well - kept the ball in the middle of the fairway all of the time.

Leona and Lou
golf course
at Corpus Christi, Texas

In order to fish the travelers had to catch their bait on the beach - fiddler crabs. The bait expeditions took place in the evening, and they used a propane lantern for extra light.

It was really fun and exiting when we found a lot of them [fiddler crabs]. They run for their holes, and they also bite when we grab them. We got so many that it was hard to keep them in the buckets. Clark tied a platter over the top so they couldn't get over the top and get out on the way home. We keep them in a half barrel of sand.

A little bait

Lou's play by play description:

#1 - Bait up

#2 - Talk to 'em

#3 - Hook 'em

#4 - Throw 'em on the rocks

One funny thing happened while fishing one day with [Uncle] Carl. [Carl Freeland was married to Lou's Aunt Rachel before her death.] I sat my bait bucket down and told him I’d bring him good luck. About that time, my bucket went down in the water in a hole between the rocks, the lid came off, the fiddler crabs came out, the bucket filled up with water, I reached for the bucket, my hat fell off, then Clark’s needle-nose pliers fell out of my pocket, I got the bucket out, reached for the pliers, and a wave came in and my head was under water! I did manage to get the pliers and everything else.

I finally was ready to fish and it wasn’t very long before I caught four nice fish. Carl had some bites, lost a good one after he almost had it out of the water, then lost a small one. So much for me bringing him good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a perfect vacation. We actually stayed four weeks. Clark had invited Lou for a month, and Lou was not about to go home early. Even though there were four people in a small area, there was never an uncomfortable moment. Carolyn was a marvelous cook. On the days we fished, she cooked the meals, On the days we played golf, we found neat resturants. I remember catching the crabs. At night the beach was just covered with them. They would pick them up with their bare hands and put them in the bucket. They made fun of me because I wore gloves. The jetty was made of huge rocks. There were deep holes between some of those rocks. I went out and found Lou upside down, clinging to those rocks with his feet, while he tried to get the bait and the things that fell out of his pocket. He was pretty agile for sixty years of age.

Leona