Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thoughts of Dad - Don

Living in Greeley for Dad's education
June, 1951

Don leaving for his mission
August 1968


Louis Butler left his heavenly home many years ago and came here to the earth to experience a wonderful mission that lasted eighty-two years. He made many special friends and even cemented many of his relationships with formal ordinances that tie him to his wife and children together, forever. To say the least, he was not anxious to leave this mission, nor to say goodbye to his companions.

Having observed Dad for the previous month, and having discussed his condition with a few of the nurses and doctors, I felt hat he would soon leave this life. Perhaps it was selfish of me, but I wanted to talk to Dad about this possibility. I wanted to hear from him one last time, his testimony and any words of wisdom he might have for us as we continue here without him. When he realized what I wanted, he gave me everything I needed to know in just five simple words. He said, "I hope I am worthy."

Those words are so important. Dad had no doubt about who he was or where he came from. He didn't say, "I hope there is a God." He didn't say, "I hope there is an afterlife." He didn't say, "I hope Christ really is our Savior." He didn't say, "I hope Christ's sacrifice really does wash away our sins." He knows all of those things are true.

Arab son and Dad
October, 1979

Garden work
April, 1988

Avon, Colorado
November, 1996


No comments: