Saturday, September 5, 2009

I'll go where you want me to go . . .

Lou - Leona Butler
Summer 1989

We had been working in the temple [in Ogden] for about 9 months when the temple presidency asked if anyone would like to serve a temple mission overseas. We thought it would be great for us to work in Europe, as Chuck and Carol were living in Germany at the time. So we applied and hoped to go to the Frankfurt Temple, but were assigned to the Swiss Temple in Zollikofen for 18 months. The Swiss Temple really wasn’t much farther from Chuck’s home than the Frankfurt Temple was. While working in the Ogden Temple, I can’t tell you how great I felt when I would see her [Leona] working there [with me]. So I knew that serving in the Swiss Temple was going to be a great experience.

The calls, signed by President Ezra Taft Benson, gave few specifics about the mission service - just where and when.

The acceptance letters made it official.





The follow up letter from Robert L. Simpson provided further information.

The destinationTempel der Kirche Jesu Christi der Heligen der letzten Tage
Zollikofen bei Bern - Suisse


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Elder Simpson told us that it was better for us to go to the Swiss Temple because it was the international temple and more English was spoken there. We worked with patrons from Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and France. We also had tourists from many countries. When we moved to Germany, the Dutch were added to that list. Switzerand was my favorite place. I'm so glad we went there. We waited and waited for our call. There is a Pleasant View Stake in or near Orem. Our call had been sent there. When our call finally came, the post'lady' didn't put it in the mailbox but carried the envelope to our door. She handed the letter to Lou and just stood there. Then she said, " Well, where are you going"? I guess they are used to delivering mission calls in Utah. It is so special to receive a mission call.