Wednesday, September 23, 2009

. . . I know that He will bless me

Provo Temple as seen from the Missionary Training Center

7 September 1989 - In our District meeting tonight a couple spoke about the MTC being a School for the Prophets. We spend the first few minutes of every class discussing a verse or two we liked from our morning Book of Mormon study, which is very helpful in learning more about the Book of Mormon. We have our couple Book of Mormon study each morning after breakfast, and we go to the temple on our Preparation Day. The speakers pointed out that this is helping to get our lives on a very high spiritual plane, which in turn will help us to be closer to the Lord and to be able to be more in tune with the Spirit.

9 September 1989
– I want you to know that all of this study of the scriptures, the devotionals and firesides are making me more aware all of the time how important families are. I’m aware how much our Heavenly Father loves us, and it is because we are His family. He truly wants us all to come back to Him. He gives us commandments because he loves us, and we obey His commandments because we love Him. The commandments he has given us are just the essentials to help us prepare so we can get back to Him. They aren’t given just so he can boss us around and make us do the things He wants us to do, but they are the blueprints for building people who can live in a world or in heaven where people live the Golden Rule and treat everyone else fairly.

How grateful I am that my mother listened to the missionaries and joined the church and made it possible for me to have the Gospel in my life. Now if I can just endure to the end and continue to serve my Heavenly Father I know that He will bless me
.


photo credit here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We had some wonderful meetings. Every Tuesday evening we had a (devotional or fireside). We had a general authority for a speaker; a missionary choir sang; and the entire group of missionaries, all 2600, singing, 'Called to Serve' was amazing. Twenty years later, I still think of that when I hear that song. Of course it never sounds the same. Lou will probably mention later that we made some very special friends.Mac and Bev McColly were from North Ogden, and we were in the same MTC Ward. Bev sang Soprano, I sang alto, another senior missionary sang tenor, and we had a younger missionary sing bass. Mac was our leader. At first we had a double quartet. but part of our group left for their missions. We sang HARK ALL YE NATIONS, in German, for our sacrament meeting. We had so much fun practicing that song. Our German was terrible, but we sang with such gusto that the ward members didn't have time to listen to our pronunciation. That is another song that I have fond memories every time I hear it...