Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It gets a little bit wild around here . . .

to the family
from Mom (Leona)
August, 1978
Kari, Jamie Ann, Kristi - September 1978
I just finished a two week stint of taking care of Jamie Ann, followed by a two week period of taking care of Kristi and Kari.  During this time we had Tommy, Chuckie, Jeremy, and Amy several times for two day periods.  It gets a little bit wild around here, but it's fun.  I usually look a bit haggard and wonder if this can really be vacation.  

Jeremy and Jamie Ann - Spring 1978
One morning I had Jamie, Jeremy and Amy all by myself.  I took Jamie out of her bed and bathed her, and then let her play while I got Amy up and bathed her.  Then I put Amy in the crib with a toy while I gave Jeremy a bath.  About that time Jamie got in my lipstick and put it around her mouth like a little clown.  It must have been hard work, because she broke a brand new lipstick in three parts.  At that same time Amy decided she had been good long enough and started yelling.  I couldn't leave Jeremy alone in the bathtub, because he kept standing up.  I was happy to see Uncle Don [Carpenter] come in the door.  Between the two of us, we managed to get all three babies ready for the day.

Jamie Ann- 1978
 Jamie does exactly what she sees us do.  She got her mother's eye make up and put it only around her eyes.  She looked so funny!  She managed to get Dad's paint brush when we were out of the room.  She only painted on the walls where her grandfather had painted.  She had big blobs of paint on two walls where she had dipped the brush in the paint and painted the same spot many times.  She got hold of the window cleaner and sprayed my clean sliding glass door just as she had seen Cordy clean the windows.  We have to be pretty careful of what we do in front of Jamie.  We have to be even more careful of where we put things and how long we leave her when she is quiet.

Jeremy, 21 months - Amy, 9 months (early 1979)
That Jeremy is a darling little baby.  He wants to do everything the big boys do.  He really figures out how to get what he wants.  He never makes the same attempt on something more than once or twice; he always tries something else.  I feel like I have done a day's work when I take care of him for a couple of hours.  He adores Amy, and he is very gentle and careful around her.  He hits anybody else if he doesn't like what they do, but he kisses Amy all the time.  I don't know how a child that age can realize that another child is his baby and show such unselfish love for her.  The only time he hits her is when he tries several times to put a little toy in her hand and she doesn't take it.  He loses patience!

Aren't grandkids wonderful!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! Cute kids! Grandma, you're brave!