Friday, January 7, 2011

Still here - still researching

Obviously, I've been taking a break from this blog.  Although the hiatus wasn't planned, regular blog posting got lost in the midst of Christmas plans, preparations and celebrations!  But don't worry, I haven't abandoned this project and am planning what to post in 2011.  I hope you'll be patient with me.

On a high note, as usual, January brings me a renewed energy and passion for family history.  During the past week, I've spent many hours entering family names into a new genealogy program for my computer.  I'm entering each name with its accompanying details individually, rather than importing all the data from another source.  As I enter the names, I also enter any sources, references, or vital records I have that document or prove the names and dates.  It's painstakingly slow, but also very rewarding as I become more familiar with family names and places.  I'd love to put together a timeline or migration map. . . .   I easily get drawn into more and different projects.

And just because I find it fascinating, here is a treasure I've happened on during my research. 

Michigan Birth Record of Cora Melvina Wisemiller


 It's hard to read on the screen (click on the image to get a bigger picture), but the last entry is for July 3, 1872 - Cora Melvina Wisemiller.  Moving right across the columns it states that she was born in Brooks, Newago County, to parent Wm. H. Wisemiller - born in Ohio and Martha A.  Wisemiller - born in Michigan. 

 I love to see family names on old documents - it's a great reminder that all these names are real people and have a story to tell.  And I plan to keep telling it.

No comments: