Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you mend a broken heart?

Lou - his mother, Mable
June 3, 1988
following his open heart surgery

26 May 1988
– I had another (my 2nd) heart attack in Pleasant View


26 May 1988
– Angiogram, 5:30 p.m. Five bad spots.


27 May 1988
– Open heart surgery. Dr. Thomas Blanch was my doctor, and Dr. Cain was the surgeon who performed the open heart surgery at McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden. I had 5 bypasses done on my heart, and was weak for a while.


13 June 1988
– My weight is down to 158 pounds. I was walking in my pj’s and robe with Don when my bottoms fell down around my ankles!


22 June 1988 – Started rehab today at 8 a.m. Did a variety of exercises and was closely monitored. Today’s lecture was on stress. Stress causes an increase in cholesterol. Exercise helps get rid of cholesterol, therefore I need to walk regularly.


Treadmill time

Stretching on the step

Working the arms

Gentle jogging

Biking to good health

Stretching the arms

1 August 1988 – Went to my last physical therapy and had my exit interview. I can do most anything except I have to be very careful about lifting and be sure to exercise and watch eating habits.

Closely monitored


That's how you mend a broken heart -
with lots of therapy!

No comments: