Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Martha Stewart's got nothing on Nelle Davis

Nelle and Norman Davis, Grandma Mable's brother and his wife, lived in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho where they owned and operated a guest ranch.  In addition Nelle took orders for home crafted items that she made and shipped throughout the country.  This excerpt from a letter Nelle wrote to Grandma Mable, in mid 1950 details some of her work.

Nelle and son Norman, Jr. in front of their home at Bonner's Ferry, Idaho

"When I began to get ready for summer trade, I decided we would have to buy a new set of dishes, as I did not have enough matching pieces for serving guests.  Then I had the happy thought to make our own dishes, so am now turning out 12 ten-inch dinner plates, 12 saucers and 12 salad plates of hard maple.  Will buy tan pottery coffee cups to go with the saucers.  I think they are most attractive, and will have the added virtue of being entirely different than anyone else's, and will also advertise our craft goods.  I'll not get serving dishes made this year, because we have no heavy wood well cured.  But will add that next year.

"I made a set of plates and salad bowls like that for a New York couple, and they wanted them hand painted, but I prefer ours plain.  They use theirs for barbecue service.  A school teacher guest bought them for her twin brother and his wife for Christmas gifts - the plates for the first year and the salad bowls for the next year.  Now she has written and asked what I can furnish this year, to complement the set.  I suggested saucers with pottery cups."


Wouldn't you love to see those dishes?

No comments: