Friday, June 25, 2010

Puzzling over Pieces

 Puzzle pieces waiting to be fit into place

As I've mentioned in recent posts, I'm back into discovery mode.  As Mom/Leona goes through file drawers and papers and passes things on to me, I'm gaining more treasures.  Then as I file and combine the new discoveries with the things I already have organized, I come across other bits and pieces that are fascinating to me and worthy of a blog post.

It's as if I'm working on a puzzle, but still looking for all the pieces.  Some pieces have been dropped on the floor, others may be lost between the couch cushions, and some have even been put away in the wrong box.  As I find new pieces and rediscover old ones, I will share those seemingly unrelated bits and pieces here in an effort to discover where they fit in the puzzle.

Several members of the Davis family were record keepers, and we have the histories that they recorded over the years.  I will be posting excerpts from those accounts in chronological order so we can get a sense of the family's story line.  Many of the people I write about we don't know, but their journals and written memories give us great insight into daily life in a different era and teach us more about our ancestral family.

I don't have nearly as much information on the Butler family, but I'm looking.  In August I am taking a trip to Michigan and will visit some of the little towns where some of the Butler ancestors  were born and buried and hopefully will find some more to share about them.

 So don't give up on me if these posts seem somewhat random and unrelated!  These are people and events that Dad knew and loved, and as a result have meaning to us as his posterity.  I have confidence that eventually we will have a complete puzzle that looks even better than the picture on the box!

No comments: