Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting to know you


December 1984
 30 August 1984 - We are beginning to get to know the students who come over to the institute pretty well, at least on a first name basis.  We usually have 15 or 20 of them in during the evening, and they visit, read, listen to the stereo, and play ping-pong and pool.  They are very friendly.  They are dressed in casual clothes, running shorts, and tee shirts.  They are not real fancy clothes, but always clean.  So far, even in some rather exciting games, we have yet to hear a cuss word among them.  As is so typical of us, we seem to have a lot more boys than girls, though there are some girls. 

at Institute Graduation - April, 1995




Some of the girls asked Leona if we would teach them to slow dance and wanted to know what it was like to be married so long!










3 October 1984 - We now have 43 members coming in fairly regularly and about 30 non-members, but a few of our members we have yet to meet.  Mother is going in to pop popcorn for the evening since she and some of the girls are going over to the Lawrence Ward for a Relief Society meeting.  The girls are really taking to Mom now and are coming to see her a lot about everything.

Leona and girls after a pie baking activity - February 1987
30 October 1984 - I'm certainly having trouble getting the words on paper.  There's a stereo blaring behind me and the ball bouncing in front of me.  I'm amazed at our tolerance level where music is concerned.  I even go around singing, "Purple Rain -- Purple Rain."  I can almost tell who is in the lounge by the music on the stereo.  If I hear country-western, I know that Cora or Lana are around.  I really enjoy country western, but some of the lyrics embarrass me if there are a lot of students around!  

14 February 1986 - Dad's barber really cuts his hair short.  The other night we were talking to Darlene and Lorraine.  I said I needed to get a haircut.  Darlene said, "You don't need a haircut."  I assured her I did, because my hair was too long.  Lorraine said, "Well, I guess we'll hae two bald heads around here instead of one.

16 February 1986 - I just went over to the house and got a wire hanger for a boy who locked his keys in his car.  I sure do hope he has a car!

Institute girls - October 1984
Molly Yazzie and Kaye Begay went with us to a fireside.  They always wear dresses to church now.  I never thought dresses would look so good!  Most of my girls still wear blue jeans.

 ". . . wilt thou make thyself known unto me . . ." 
Alma 22:18

No comments: