Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Kona Kai Oasis

At two different times, Lou and Leona lived in the Kona Kai Apartments in Pueblo.  It was everybody's favorite!  Dad's thoughts about the Kona Kai:

Kona Kai indoor tropics
In July 1984 we were living in the Kona Kai Apartments.  We had lived here before, and really liked it.  We had an apartment on the second floor overlooking the swimming pool, and we really needed a place where we could get lots of exercise as it had just been a year since I had my first heart attack.  It also had an area around the inside where we could walk in bad weather.  

We had a balcony which I used for my desk and work area for writing and working on my pictures! 

X marks the spot of the Butler apartment

The inside atrium was very pretty with banana trees and lots of flowers and shrubs with the walking path around and through the area.  It also had several gas grills where we could prepare meals and entertain.

The pool in the middle of a tropical paradise

It also had a 9 hole putting area which was fun, and the grandchildren really liked it.

Mark and Nate "golfing" - June, 1984


We loved to get up early in the morning and go for a swim.  We also loved to swim with our children and grandchildren and friends.  The water was always warm and clean.

Kona Kai pool - arrow indicates Butlers' apartment
Pool view from the balcony
 Since we also had our trailer parked in the parking lot, we could use it for an extra bedroom for a visiting family if we needed it.  The rent was reasonable, and the caretakers took really good care of the place.


The outside of the building doesn't give any indication of what's inside

We love living at the Kona Kai!


What do you grandchildren remember about visiting Grandma and Grandpa at the Kona Kai?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Banana trees, swimming, miniature golf, and playing tri-ominos with Grandma. I loved Kona Kai. I have very wonderful memories being with Grandma and Grandpa:) Kari Lynn

Emily said...

I loved going to the Kona Kai! It was magical to me--how you could walk into this giant building surrounded by a giant parking lot (don't correct me if I'm wrong, I like to remember it this way) and it was a jungle in there!

The pool was awesome. I loved hanging out there with the family. But my secret best memory is Grandpa and Grandma giving us quarters to go down the stairs and get a pop out of the machine. I feel so sneaky just thinking about it!

Grandma and Grandpa were the best for those little special things (meaning stuff we never got to do with Mom and Dad) like getting a pop out of the machine.

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for those special times (besides just the pop) and thanks Mom and Dad for looking the other way!