Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An inside View

Dad's handwritten daily journal


I've already recorded my thoughts and feelings about this family history project. But even more interesting to me is what Dad recorded in his journal about his interest in sharing his family history with all of us. Obviously none of us would be enjoying his life through this blog if he hadn't followed the counsel to keep a journal and a history.

January 7, 1989
– I’m spending a lot of time sorting pictures into envelopes by families. Then I will start putting them into albums. It has been interesting – both new things and seeing pictures of things I enjoyed in years past. I want to get this project finished and then get started on my old diaries, appointment books, and photos to make a meaningful and interesting journal. I am finding the old pictures very fascinating and leading to some genealogy work. I wish Mom and Dad would have written on pictures or on the albums so I would know who people were. I have to try to put them into albums so as to save them, but also to make them meaningful to our children and grandchildren.

I found pictures of both of my grandparents and also their golden weddings. Those group pictures brought back some memories, but I have forgotten so much!
I’ve purchased 12 – ½ inch notebooks and 200 page protectors for the photo albums.

Family pictures in the notebooks

20 January 1989 –Since I don’t have any page protectors I am just slitting the paper for the corners of the pictures to stick through to get them to stay in the notebook. Then I print about the pictures in the very smallest print on my computer printer and tape it to the picture or next to it in the notebook.

2 July 1992
– I went out in the garage [in Pleasant View] and started getting some of the things that I want to take back to Greeley with me. I found a lot of pictures and old journals that I need for my autobiography. I also got a lot of books that I want, including some books from our trips to Germany and also of our mission. I could fill the truck with just what I looked at today. I piled them up by the front of the garage. Now I have to go through them and dust them all off good before I re-box them for the trip to Greeley.

28 July 1992
– I got all of the pictures put together in the top of my closet. I am now getting close to being able to start getting my autobiography started in earnest.

Journal entry
10 April 1989

31 July 1992 – I went through all of my notebooks of journals, appointments, agendas, etc. and filed them in folders by the year. Now I will have to go through them and put them in chronological order as the next step. I have them in five boxes. I also found several more notebooks full of pictures, so it is now about 63 notebooks full of pictures, plus the briefcase and a few boxes of pictures. I must get the rest of the pictures in page protectors and label a lot of them before I forget all about them.

19 April 1993
– I started on my autobiography by setting up a file cabinet with sections of topics and began writing. I will be able to write about any section now, such as service time, scouting, church service, etc.

7 August 1993
– Davis Family reunion. Every time we got a chance, I was showing Aunt Florence and Uncle Norman my pictures and trying to get names to go with old pictures. I showed them how I am working my pictures and journal together.

1 September 1993
– Spent most of the day working on my journals. I did some work on 1930 – 1953. I’m just putting information on the disk that I had in the files. I can add a lot more if I take the time to think about what I have listed, and if I look through the pictures of those years.

7 September 1993
– Worked some more on my journals, finding pictures and trying to remember.

19 November 1993
– Aunt Florence is here to visit for a few days. All week long she and I have been talking genealogy. She told me many things about her genealogy trip with Uncle Evan, and I got some information on many of Grandpa Harker’s brothers, etc.


Thanks for all your work, Dad.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

He was an AMAZING record keeper! I'm lucky to know what I did last week! I find this whole process (Lou's and yours Lynn) a wonderful service and act of love for your family. You both inspire me. MBC

Anonymous said...

Whenever we read a book or a journal or look at a scrapbook, we usually have no idea how much time and effort the person gave to the project. We rarely even stop to think about it. Then, once in a while, we get a small glimpse of the process, and we are overwhelmed by the size of the task and the devotion of the creator. deb

Anonymous said...

When Lou was going through his writings, agendas etc., he threw quite a few things away. I was afraid he might throw away something important. When you see how much he kept, it's a good thing some of it was discarded. There's a file of pictures entitled, 'pictures of people whose name I do not know'. I'm certain that anybody who would know is not here anymore. Lou was always busy. There was always something he wanted to do. elb

Emily said...

I guess I never stopped to think about how Grandpa did have a plan with what he was doing.

I miss him!

Anonymous said...

I am so greatful for the memory and dedication my dear grandpa had. Putting all this together and knowing that we would enjoy it as well as those to come. Everytime I went to grandpa and grandmas, I always saw him working, Didn't realize at the time how important it was. I do know that one of my favorite things as I grew to an adult was to sit with grandpa and look through these books and look at the pictures. I have always had a great desire to know of generations past. He and all the work of Aunt Lynn has made it a great blessing for me. I have now rqan out of computer ink because I copy everything!!! So, i must get more. I miss him too, but I'm greatful for all his hard work and inspiration! Love Kari Lynn Butler Oborn

Anonymous said...

As Ihave read this again, I remembered about all the notebooks Lou used to buy. Everytime we went to Office Depot or Walmart, Lou would say that he needed to buy another notebook. I use to tease him about all of the notebooks he bought. I had no idea of how much those notebooks would mean to us in the time to come. elb