Monday, November 24, 2008

Watch Out!

photo credit: Deepak Purchanda

One day I observed several students showing each other their new watches. It seemed odd that several children would all have new watches on the same day and in the same class! But not so odd, since they were Johnny’s [Aguire] classmates.

I asked one of the girls if she received the watch for her birthday. She said, “No, Johnny gave it to me.” About that time another girl said, “See mine. Johnny gave me one, too.”

Well I knew I had better find Johnny right away and find out where he got all of those watches to give away. So I looked around the playground and saw a large group all crowding in together. It was either a fight, or Johnny! Sure enough, everyone was surrounding Johnny, begging for a watch.

I approached Johnny and we headed for the office. When we got there, Johnny still had several watches on his arm under his shirtsleeve.

“Where did you get them?”

“I found them.”

“No you didn’t. Where did you get them?”

“At the KD Drug Store.”

Johnny and I went around to the rooms collecting watches and then we went to KD Drug Store and returned them. The manager at the KD hadn’t missed them. He went over to one of the counters and said, “There was a display here on a cardboard advertisement yesterday.” He didn’t know for sure how many were still on the cardboard, but he was glad to get back the dozen or so that we returned.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hi Aunt Lynn!
I haven't been here in a while so I was just catching up on your posts and wanted to tell you how much I appreciate having these stories and pictures for my husband and kids to have of their grandfather and great-grandfather (and for me, too!). Keep up the good work!
Jennifer :)