Friday, November 14, 2008

Eleanor Leona Carpenter Butler

Eleanor Leona Carpenter
born - November 14, 1925

Leona with her mother, Lorene "Toodie" Carpenter
back left of picture

Leona - 1928
3 years old

Leona (about 7 years old)- Lorene

As I read through many years of Dad's journals, I realized that he always made note of Mom's birthday on November 14 and mentioned where they ate for her celebration. Those notes of birthday recognition were usually followed by a narration of what they had done that day, typically involving service for someone else.

In 1989 Mom and Dad were serving a mission in Switzerland and spent almost all of their time together. They had to use a little creativity and intrigue to surprise each other for birthdays and holidays. As the following entry shows, Dad really gave it his best shot!

14 November 1989 - Leona's birthday.
I lost the card I had bought her for her birthday! I had carefully sneaked over to the cash register after picking it out while she was shopping and paid for it, put it in my inside pocket and rejoined her. This morning when I went to get it out of my pocket, it wasn't there.


Happy Birthday, Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a tiny baby. I only weighed three and a quarter pounds when I was born. I was born at home, but there was a doctor and a nurse or midwife there. The doctor, jesting I hope, said, "Do you think it's worth keeping?" My mother said she was furious with him. She had just gone to a lot of work to have that baby. In the last picture, I was seven instead of five years old. Leona