Friday, February 25, 2011

few people enjoyed letter writing like I do

Mixed in Dad's papers were several letters written by Aunt Lorena in the mid 1950's.  The following excerpt fascinates me, because she gets so much information into so little space.  Granted it's a little disjointed and wandering, but it gives me some names and possible family relationships to pursue in my effort to get to know the family.

I've left the spelling and punctuation as she wrote it.  It's open for interpretation!  And if you can shed any light on any of these people, please leave a comment.

October 4, 1954

to Florence (Mable's sister)
from Aunt Lorena
October 4, 1954

I do not know of great grand fathers family but always understood he was from a ____ family he was Jerimiah D. and I think his oldest son was too then there was Nancy, George, Linda, Jack and a little dwarf girl. Becky, Rebecca, I guess.  She never grew tall.  I do no know why, some sickness she had when she was small, I think.  She was about 4' or 3' 11 " I believe.

Another of the family then he married again but she was mean to Becky so he left her.  I never heard of a devorce and they weren't common then maybe he just quit her but I remember Granny Overturf she was small and quaint and had a family by her first man.  There may have been ones between but I don't think so her family got scattered in the war and in hunting then they got west to Dennison, Texas.  I don't remember any more if she and grandpa were married or the girl and Jerry Overturf, but they found them at Dennison and she was married to grandpa's oldest son you remember Aunt Melinda Bullock don't you.  Grandma's sister then Geo and Jack at Freewater.  Jack only had one girl and she is married and I don't know what become and Geo married a sister to Aunt Fanny.  Aunt Belle Patterson and he had two girls and a boy his girls moved to Portland and last I knew of children Eva had had a boy before she was married not her husband's and he died.  Jennie never had any and Jim married one of the coffee girl and raised two girls Gwen and Amy I think.  Jim was sort of a never to well when he was a youngster as I remember but he got a well drilling outfit and became a pretty well to do man and was considered all right.  It was rumored at one time he had bootlegged some though but never was prosecuted for it.  So Gwen is the last of the line I guess and she didn't write to one . . .   I guess she is in bad health and few people enjoyed letter writting like i do.

Luck go with you - 
My love to you
Aunt Lorena

Lorena and Nathaniel Shockley


I'll bet she had some great stories to tell!

No comments: