Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Little girl Leona

In my process of sorting and processing pictures of Leona's family, I've discovered a few more photos of her early years.  I hope that before too long, I will have some narrative to accompany these pictures, but for now, enjoy this cute little girl!

*   *   *   *   *   *   *

I've posted this picture before, but I wanted to include it again in this series of posts.  The other woman is Florence Carpenter, wife of Ream's brother Ralph, with her daughters Mae, Maxine and Betty.  I love this picture of Tootie as a very attractive young mother, just 17 years old.

Baby Leona and her mother, Lorene Carpenter (back left)
early 1926

This picture of Leona and her younger sister, Charlotte, needs a professional restoration, but if I wait to post this until that's done, we may never enjoy it!

Charlotte, about 6 months old - Leona, 3 years old

Leona's grandmother, Mary Parker Carpenter, died when Leona's father, Ream, was 16 years old. Ream's oldest sister, Effie, who was 12 years his senior, took over the mothering duties - especially after Ream married and had children.  She adored her two little nieces and happily took the role of doting grandmother in Grandma Mary's absence.

"I and 2 dolls"
Leona - Aunt Effie - Charlotte
about 1930

Remember this post about the family resemblance?  

Leona, about 7 - Lorene, about 24
circa 1932

People will not look forward to posterit
who never look backward to their ancestors
- Edmund Burke

No comments: