Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We're in the right place

Lou teaching Institute Class
 4 November 1985 - I'm always studying for our institute classes now.  We each teach one at Haskell and one at the KU (University of Kansas) Institute.  We really only prepare two lessons a week, but it keeps us busy.  I only prepare Relief Society in addition to that.  Lou always does the Family Home Evening lesson.  Of course I do games and songs, and I have to be ready for that.


Leona sitting in on Lou's class
8 February 1986 - Our institute classes went well this week.  We picked up one more student, and we have a chance to pick up four more this week.  We never really know [who will come] until they show up, and then from week to week we wonder if they will keep coming.  Right now we have ten who seldom miss.  For Haskell, that is really good. In fact, according to people around here, it may never have happened before.
Haskell Institute Class
 21 February 1986 - We have fifteen in our Haskell class now.  It's really great to have that many kids coming.  I had such a good feeling  - a sense of accomplishment I guess - when the class was over.  One of our problems is that the students don't understand a lot of terminology.  One of the more vocal girls asked what I meant by "iniquity."  If all the kids would ask, I wouldn't worry.  I'm sure Dad does a better job of explaining than I do.  We just about have to start out with the idea that they know nothing [about the Gospel] and take it from there.  However, when  new student comes into the class, then we realize how much the others have learned.  After an experience like last night, we know we're in the right place and doing the thing we ought to be doing.

10 September 1986 - We thought the new Catholic Center would take some of our kids, but they're concerned because they are not having many kids.  Lisa said that Father John is wondering what they are doing wrong.  I guess our popcorn is better!  We have twenty-four kids enrolled in our New Testament class, and we're still growing.

Leona studying
20 February 1987 - I spent most of yesterday getting ready for my institute lesson.  My lesson was on Galatians.  I read it through the first time, and it didn't seem like much.  Then I started reading the institute manual and Paul's Life and Letters, a symposium book on the New Testament, and found out it was a very interesting lesson!  I'm really enjoying reading the writings of Paul.  I'm just beginning to appreciate what a great man he was.  I can understand why we are told to read our scriptural reference three times before we give the lesson.

". . . teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness . . ., 
to love one another and serve one another." 
Mosiah 4: 15

No comments: